Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ashes to Ashes...

I want my burial to be natural, or green, or whatever one calls being simply laid to rest "organically". The natural burial is becoming more popular across the country, but still has a long way to go. I think my husband believes I am joking when I talk about this, not because he can't face the prospect of my death (although we both have agreed that he should probably go first, because he would have more trouble adjusting to life alone) but because he can't imagine why I should care about what happens to my earthly body once my soul has left it.

But, I am serious. I know this because I keep returning to the prospect of a simple, natural burial and find that it feels comfortable. It is not an idea that I have pondered and forgotten about. Nor have I made this statement on a whim because it sounds like the right thing to do. I have done online research and read a book or two about the subject, as well as a book or two about traditional "modern" funeral procedures and burials. The inside scoop isn't pretty, folks.

When a loved one dies, the family is usually so overcome with grief and sadness that they immediately put matters into the hands of the local funeral director and he/she does it all. The bereaved only need go pick out a casket, make appropriate (and hopefully affordable) arrangements, and then show up at the appointed times and places, even going so far as to be chauffeured to and fro. There is nothing wrong with all of that; it is "how it is done". Consider this...many years ago, before some guy realized how lucrative this could be...people took care of their own dearly departed. They often washed the body, dressed it, said good-bye as they lovingly cared for this special family member. They even had the viewing in their living rooms! Bring that coffin in, fellas, and we will set things up right here. No need to schlep down to the funeral home where everyone feels uncomfortable and out of place. Gather 'round everyone, take a look, say a prayer, have some coffee and set a spell. Then, not long after, everyone would either walk or drive to the local cemetery (sometimes family owned, but also could be church owned) to have the funeral and lay this loved person to rest. The coffin was often hand made in a simple design, no frills, no puffy pink interior to keep the loved one "comfy" in their final resting place.

Let's face it, modern funerals are for the living...the left behind...to gracefully help them adjust to losing someone they love. Makes it easier to take if everything is done "just right" and we can see for ourselves just how wonderful the process can be. And, I just can't help but think the funeral industry uses a time of vulnerability and distraction to convince the mourners that their loved one would look wonderful in THAT coffin, and having two days of viewings would give EVERYONE a chance to come say good-bye, and yes you will be very glad that you chose the limo to drive you around during this stressful time.

I digress...

Granted, embalming serves a purpose in that it does allow extra time for relatives to fly into town and attend the funeral. But the whole idea of using all that poison for this purpose really bugs me. Because you know that eventually that body is going to disintegrate, and all those chemicals (mostly formaldehyde) are eventually going to leak into the ground soil, because no matter how sturdy that casket is, and how thick that cement grave liner is, things will begin to break down and poison everything around the area.

Beyond all that, just imagining my funeral being a simple event, with my body wrapped in a shroud and placed into a grave that is in a beautiful field or forest appeals to me. Knowing that I will eventually be fertilizer for this beautiful earth that God created feels so much better than the other, more popular, option. Many family members may not be able to attend my funeral, since time will be of the essence (no embalming!) and there may not be time (well, there's always dry ice, which aids in preservation for a little longer time), and I can empathize with that. But, since how and where I am laid to rest is my last decision, I do believe those who love me will understand and perhaps some day go visit the place where I rest and enjoy the beauty that I am now a part of.

More on this later. In the meantime, here are some links if you want to learn more:

http://www.greenburials.org/
http://greencemetery.blogspot.com/
http://www.beatree.com/

You can also Google "green burials" or "natural burials" and you will come up with plenty of info.

No comments: