Thursday, August 31, 2006

Up, Up and Away...

I have just been diagnosed with arthritis on my spine. I'm not sure exactly what that means...since I have been reading about arthritis and found out it isn't one disease, but is actually up to 100 types. Arthritis is like an umbrella that the medical community uses to explain pain and other symptoms...so they are all lumped together, yet they are different. I've also found out online that there are blood tests that can be performed that will pinpoint exactly what type of arthritis one has. There are also other tests...the one I had was pretty basic; an xray of my back.

I have been having bad pain in the thoracic area of my spine for several years now. And, it hurts when I lay down on my back or when I sit and lean back on the sofa or another chair, etc. It has gotten to the point that it hurts now during the day at random times for no apparent reason...but the initial pain was always brought on by my laying down or sitting back, which I always thought was really strange. So, I got tired of this pain and the limitations it brought about, plus I have been having chest pains so I decided it was time to visit my doctor to find out what is going on. She referred me to a cardiologist for the left chest pain, and had an xray done on my back to find out if anything was there. She also prescribed Naproxen and some muscle relaxer and told me to start doing Yoga stretches. Lo and behold, I got a call from some young woman from the doctor'soffice the other day who told me I have arthritis on my spine and that the doctor said if it doesn't improve to call and go in and see her. I thought this was so ludicris, since I originally went to her because the pain was so bad for so long! I didn't even venture to ask this young thing any questions, because I just knew that she would not know any answers. So, I informed her that I already have a follow up appointment next week so I will talk with the doctor then.

I wonder why a doctor would leave a patient out there hanging with this sort of diagnosis, especially since that patient had just been in the office complaining of severe pain and discomfort. It would seem to me that the doctor should probably have told the young woman to make sure I come in and see her so she can discuss treatment options and pain management. Ah, but what do I know??

No comments: