Friday, August 25, 2006

Follow up on the college "thang"

After my son had experienced his first couple of days in college, I asked him what he thought about it. He told me it was pretty much like high school, with all sorts of rules and things expected of him. The teachers all expect the students to be in class, be on time, not leave early, not use cell phones, blah, blah, blah. And, to top it off, if he is absent from each class more than 4 times a semester, his grade will be compromised! How dare they!

Well, I guess he expected the freedom to come and go as he pleases, talk on his cell phone while the teacher is up there trying to impart some knowledge, and really thinks his behaviors or lack of interest should be of no concern to the teachers!! I told him that they still do expect a certain amount of effort and interest in college...at least at the community college level. Now, the experience at the larger university may be different...considering many class sizes are outrageous, like 200-500 students in one class. I can imagine the teachers of those classes basically telling the students "Your grade will reflect only what you put into this class. I will be here every week, teaching and lecturing, but other than that, you are on your own!" I guess that is what my son is looking forward to.

I should mention that when I attended orientation early in the summer with my son, all of these things were addressed. There were even seasoned students who got up and spelled things out for the incoming students. How to behave, what the teachers expect, the impact of bad behaviors and lousy choices on grades. I guess my son wasn't really listening when all that was being explained...which is typical, I guess, of a teenaged male who just graduated from high school and had other things on his mind.

I'm just happy they will allow him to wear his Red Sox hat in class.

1 comment:

RSH said...

Whoo-hoo! You did it. And you write alot! Good for you. Very cool about your life and your kid in college. I'm proud of you!