Thursday, August 24, 2006

Is there a doctor in the house?

Today I had an appointment with a doctor. I never did see the doctor, because the office staff that works there neglected to tell me what office to show up at. My "primary care physician" gave me the name of this other doctor, along with her business card, and the address on the card was in the same building as my PCP. So, when I called to make the appointment, I ASSUMED that I would be seeing that doctor in that building. Well, when I showed up 20 minutes early, as instructed, I was informed that the doctor I had the appointment with is not in that office on Thursdays...so I had to drive 20 minutes away to keep my appointment. When I arrived at the appropriate office, I was told the doctor couldn't see me because I was late!! So, even though it was the office staff's fault, because I was not told which office to show up at (not knowing there were two offices) I had to reschedule the appointment. I told the lovely young office worker that in the future they may want to tell the patients which office to go to, in order to avoid this sort of thing.

Along the same lines...when I originally called to schedule the appointment, the woman on the other end of the phone acted as if she was bored stiff, and like she had better things to do than schedule an appointment for me. When I hung up with her, I once again wondered why professionals keep employees like that on the payroll. She was my first impression of this doctor's office, and I'll tell you she presented a pretty lousy impression. And, after the experience today with the same office staff, I was tempted to try to find another doctor with the same specialty...but, I think I will go and see that doctor and tell her that her office staff almost pushed me to find another doctor. Will she care? Maybe not...but I would hope she wants the first impression of her office to be a good one.

No comments: